Jamaican Brown Stew Fish
Brown stew fish is one of the many different fish recipes that Jamaicans are famous for. The Carribean sea provides a plethora of fish for us to use in our many fish recipes. Red snapper is probably the most common fish that is used for this dish, but Parrot fish can also be used. I personally like to use red snapper, but you can use whatever meaty fish you have on hand. You can make this as spicy or as mild as you like by adjusting (or omitting) the amount of pepper you use. Either way, you will love this simple and delicious authentic Jamaican brown stew fish recipe.
Jamaican Brown Stew Fish
If you're looking for an alternative to your regular chicken, or beef dishes. This Jamaican brown stew recipe is sure to satisfy your palate and appetite. The array of spices and flavors will sure to make your tastebuds come alive with the flavor of the Carribean.
- 6 Whole Red Snapper 1/2 lb each
- 1 Large Bell Pepper Sliced
- 1 Large Tomato Sliced in half moon pieces
- 2 Stalks Scallions Chopped
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 Large Yellow Onion Sliced in half moon pieces
- 2 Whole Scotch Bonnet Peppers Thinly sliced (Remove Seeds)
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Browning
- 1/4 Cup Water
- Make sure you clean, your fish thoroughly. You can use white vinegar and water, or lemon juice and water to clean the fish.Place scallions, tomato, onion, thyme, and bell pepper in a mixing bowl. Add a little salt and pepper to taste. Mix them thoroughly. Add your fish and rub your seasoning into the fish. Let marinate for about 1 hour.
- Add vegetable oil to a large saucepan over a medium flame and let heat. Once the pan is heated add your scotch bonnet peppers and garlic to the pan.
- Add your Fish (remove your seasonings from the bowl first, you will need it later) to the Pan and let cook until it is golden brown on both sides.
- Place a medium-sized saucepan on a medium flame and add your butter. water, browning, and ketchup. You then add the seasoning which you used to marinade the fish to this pan and let sautee for approx 7 mins.
- Add your fish to this sauce and let it cook for about 10 minutes. Remove it from the pan and serve hot.Served with Jamaican Rice and Peas as a side dish.
Serving: 01 | Sodium: 50mg | Calcium: 17mg | Vitamin C: 43mg | Vitamin A: 1244IU | Sugar: 4g | Fiber: 2g | Potassium: 185mg | Cholesterol: 5mg | Calories: 53kcal | Saturated Fat: 1g | Fat: 2g | Protein: 1g | Carbohydrates: 7g | Iron: 1mg
Check out this video from our friends at How To Cook Channel showing you how to cook this recipe.