Jamaican Pumpkin Rice Recipe
This is a very quick and easy pumpkin rice recipe, that you can serve as a side dish. It can be made with the vegetables described in this recipe, or you can add your own favorite vegetables to suit your taste.
Pumpkin is loaded with many antioxidants and Vitamin A that can lead to a stronger immune system. If you are looking for a healthier alternative for a side dish, pumpkin rice is just what you are looking for.
Jamaican Pumpkin Rice
- 3 Cups White Rice Can be substituted with Brown Rice
- 1 Whole Onion Sliced
- 2 Stalks Green onions AKA scallions
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Cubed
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 1/2 Green Pepper Sliced
- 6 Whole Allspice Seeds
- 2 Sprigs Thyme Can be substituted with 1 tbsp ground thyme
- 1 Tbsp Butter Can be substituted with Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Grace Pumpkin Soup Mix To be used if you want a more orange colored rice.
- 1 Whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a medium-sized saucepan under a medium flame.Place chopped, onion, green onions, garlic, green pepper, scotch bonnet pepper and pumpkin in a saucepan, and let sauté for approx. 10-12 mins. Season with salt, and black pepper.Add 5 cups of water to a saucepan, then add the rice. Add thyme and allspice seeds to your rice. Add sautéed vegetables to your rice and stir with a fork.Cover your saucepan with aluminum foil (use enough to cover the top of the saucepan), and place lid on the pot. Let cook for approximately 30 minutes.Check intermittently if rice is cooked. If rice is hard add a ¼ cup of water and cover until fully cooked.After rice is cooked, remove from flame and serve.
Can be served with and poultry, meat, or fish dish.