Jamaican Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe
In Jamaica, every Saturday is Soup day. Whether its beef soup, chicken soup, or red peas soup,you will be getting served soup on Saturday. My personal favorite was and still is beef soup. I think that was a tradition of the past, and now “every” day can be soup day. On a cold, rainy, wintry day, what is better than a hot steaming bowl of soup? I am going to share the best homemade vegetable beef soup on the planet. You will never drink soup from a can again.
Jamaican Beef Soup
This hot and tasty Caribbean soup will get you through the coldest of winter days, and nights. Made with fresh vegetables, and beef, it will warm you from head to toe.
- 3 Qts Water
- 3 Stalks Green Onions AKA Scallions
- 1 Whole Onion
- 4 Medium Carrots Cubed
- 1 Lb Yellow Yam Cut in 3"x1" pieces
- 1 Whole Chayote
- 4 Medium Potatoes Cubed
- 3/4 Lb Pumpkin Peeled and Cubed in 4"x!" pieces
- 3 Springs Thyme Dried
- 1 Cube Beef Bullion
- 1 tbsp Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 10 Whole Allspice Seeds AKA Pimento Seeds
- 3 Stalks Celery Cut in very small slices
- 1 Whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 3 Lbs Chuck Roast Cubed
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/3 Cup Water
- Pour water in a large saucepan and let boil under a medium flame.
- Add Pumpkin and onion and beef to water and let it boil for about 1 hour, or until the pumpkin has dissolved.
- Add Celery, green onions, yellow yam, chayote, carrots, potatoes, thyme, salt, pepper, allspice seeds, and scotch bonnet pepper (do not let the pepper burst in the soup, unless you love your food extremely spicy) Let it simmer under a medium flame for approx 30 minutes. Then add your dumplings to the soup and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
How to make Dumplings
- In a mixing bowl, add flour and water. Knead flour until it forms a semi-thick dough (about the same consistency as pizza crust dough). Shape the dough into small round wheels (this dough will make about 8 dumplings).
This is the best homemade vegetable beef soup recipe you will ever come across. I have been making this soup for years, and it has never disappointed. Check out this very useful video on how to make Jamaican Beef soup.
Serving: 01Sodium: 862mgCalcium: 84mgVitamin C: 33mgVitamin A: 7105IUSugar: 4gFiber: 5gPotassium: 1200mgCholesterol: 94mgCalories: 455kcalSaturated Fat: 7gFat: 16gProtein: 31gCarbohydrates: 48gIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
I’m hungry now! Haha! I never had Jamaican homemade vegetable beef soup. I watched most of the video and it looks delicious! I don’t think I’ve ever had soup that yam or pumpkin in it. I like pumpkin and never thought about including that in any type of soup. I will have to eventually try this! Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Hi Jeremy, thanks for dropping by, please let me know how your soup turns out.
Very delicious soup. I used squash instead of pumpkin but it was just as yummy. Thank you for the recipe