Jamaican Fried Dumplings Recipe
Jamaican Fried DumplingsFried dumplings are probably Jamaica’s favorite comfort food. It is eaten with just about anything you can think of. It’s used as a side for ackee and salt fish, fried fish, calaloo, and saltfish. The possibilities are endless. Its a fast and simple side that you can make, and the best thing is it is very inexpensive to make. Your family will love this alternative to the American Johnnycake.
Jamaican Fried Dumplings
Learn to make Jamaican Fried Dumplings
- 1 Large Saucepan
- 1 Medium Saucepan
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Medium size strainer
- 1 Cutting Board
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/8 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp butter
- 5 ounces Water
- 5 cups Cooking Oil Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil can be used.
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Sift flour using your strainer and your mixing bowl.
- Add sugar
- Add baking powder
- Add butter
- Combine all ingredients (except the water) in a bowl until it has the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- Add 2/1 oz of the water to your mixture and knead the dough for about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the additional water and knead for a few more minutes until the dough becomes smooth. (Best left refridgerated overnight to get it really smooth, but definitley not necessary)
- Use a large cutting board and "dust" it with flour.
- Roll your dough on the cutting board until it's flattened a bit
- Stretch the dough across your cutting board and cut into 10 even pieces
- Take each piece of dough, roll it into a small ball using your palms and place it on your flour dusted serving tray.
- sprinkle a pinch of flour on the dumplings on the tray.
- Add oil to your saucepan, and let heat to about 290 degrees under a medium flame.
- Let it fry for about 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer your oil to a smaller saucepan, and allow to fry for an additional 5-6 minutes until golden brown.
Served with ackee and saltfish, or just about any Jamaican dish.
Sodium: 560mgCalcium: 55mgVitamin A: 25IUSugar: 5gFiber: 1gPotassium: 54mgCholesterol: 2mgCalories: 209kcalSaturated Fat: 1gFat: 1gProtein: 5gCarbohydrates: 43gIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply