Jamaican Curry Goat Recipe
Jamaican Curry Goat- This delicious tender, spicy authentic Jamaican curry goat recipe will have your taste buds yearning for more.
This is a must-try Jamaican recipe. The best thing is that is a very easy recipe to follow.
Curry goat has been a staple of Jamaican culture for many years, although curry is native to India, it was introduced to Jamaica back in the 1800s by the Indians. It is used to cook many dishes, goat being a favorite. Many people may scoff at the notion of eating goat meat, but the truth is, it is lower in cholesterol, fat, and calories than beef, chicken, and pork according to livestrong.com.
You can make it as spicy or as mild to please your palate as you desire. I personally like it on the spicy side. Some folks even add a bit of lamb to their curry goat to give it a different flavor.
You should definitely try this recipe out, I promise you, you will not be disappointed.
Jamaican Curry Goat
- 3 Lbs Goat Meat Can be bought at most meat Markets or Halal Stores
- 3 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Sliced
- 2 Stalks Escallion (Green Onions)
- 2 Tsp Thyme
- 6 Whole All Spice Seeds (Pimento Seeds)
- 1 Whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 Medium sized Carrot Cubed
- 2 Medium Sized Potatoes Cubed
- Trim the goat of all excess fat, and was thoroughly in a solution of water and vinegar
- You are now ready to season your goat.Start by Adding 1 ½ Tbsp of curry power, scallion, onion, garlic, thyme, black pepper, salt and scotch bonnet pepper to your goat. Rub vigorously until the goat is well seasoned.
- Let it sit for approximately 2 hours (This allows the meat to be infused with all the seasonings you just added to it).
- Add vegetable oil in a skillet over a medium flame (be careful to not let the oil get too hot).
- You can now add the remaining curry powder to the oil.
- Add the meat to the skillet and let brown for about 10-12 mins over a medium flame.
- Add 4 cups of hot water and let it simmer for about 1 hr 15 mins, (or until your meat becomes tender).
- Add your potatoes and carrots and all spice seeds and allow to continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
Great recipe! The curry was delicious and I’m was much enjoyed by my family.