Jamaican Curry Chicken Recipe
This recipe is one of my favorites. This is how you make a traditional Jamaican curry chicken dinner. Curry chicken was first introduced to Jamaica by Indian immigrants who brought many different spices and even fruits to Jamaica. This has been a staple of almost every Jamaican home for centuries. You can now add a Jamaican curry chicken recipe to your recipe Rolodex.
Jamaican Curry Chicken recipe
- 3 lbs chicken parts
- 1 whole yellow onion chopped
- 1 whole tomato sliced in half moon slices
- 1 whole sweet pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper chopped (AKA habanero)
- 4 tbsp yellow Jamaican curry powder
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil can be substituted with olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 3 whole small potatoes chopped
- 3 whole small to medium carrots chopped
- Start preparing your chicken by cleaning and washing it. You can use lemon juice, salt, or white vinegar in a bowl with water to clean the chicken. Remove all excess fat from chicken. Rinse chicken with water after cleaning
- Begin seasoning the chicken by adding 2 tablespoons of curry powder and 1 tablespoon of black pepper. You can then add your chopped scallions (green onions), garlic, onion, green pepper, scotch bonnet pepper (habanero) and rub vigorously into the chicken until the all pieces are coated with your seasonings.
- Add 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil to a heated saucepan (medium flame) then add 2 tablespoons of curry powder to the heated oil . Let it cook for about 3 minutes.
- You then add your chicken to the saucepan, cover, and let cook for about 15 minutes (stirring occasionally). Add in 2 cups of water then add 1 sliced tomato, 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, the cubed potatoes, and carrots and let cook for 35 minutes.