Although it is most commonly associated with the diet of Rastafarians, Ital stew is enjoyed by everyone. It is a healthy alternative to meat-based diets. It is good for you and it is also delicious. It can be eaten with a side of white rice (or mixed in). On those cold winter evenings, a bowl of ital stew will do you good. Follow this easy recipe and start warming up now.
Ital is vital. This hearty stew will have you coming back for seconds. It will fill you up and keep you going. Ital to the Worl.
- 2 Cans Kidney Beans Drained
- 1 Whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 1/2 Cups Coconut Milk
- 7 Whole Allspice Seeds
- 2 Clves Garlic Minced
- 1 Whole Onion Sliced
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- 10 Whole Okras
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 3 Whole Potatoes Cubed
- 3 Whole Carrots Cubed
- 1/2 Lb Pumpkin Cubed
- 1 Can Corn
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add your coconut milk and water and let simmer over a medium flame
- Add your red peas, scotch bonnet pepper, black pepper, allspice seeds and garlic to the pot
- Let simmer for a few minutes, then add your onion, thyme, pumpkin and okras (stir pot intermittently)
- Add your potatoes, corn, and carrots
- Let simmer for about 25 minutes.Served hot, with or without white rice.
Check out Chef Ricardo as he show's us how he makes his ital stew.
Serving: 01Sodium: 15mgCalcium: 27mgVitamin C: 9mgVitamin A: 3509IUSugar: 4gFiber: 2gPotassium: 485mgCalories: 264kcalSaturated Fat: 18gFat: 21gProtein: 5gCarbohydrates: 20gIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply