Jamaican Oxtails Recipe
Jamaican Oxtails is one of the most popular Jamaican recipes. It is delicious and easy to make. This dish has European origins, as it was introduced to the island by the British many centuries ago. The British used to enjoy oxtail soup with vegetables in the 17th century and brought it to Jamaica when they arrived. It has since been synonymous with Jamaican cuisine ever since. This is my Jamaican oxtail recipe which I’ve used to feed many satisfied palates. Let’s get going, and learn how to cook Jamaican oxtails.
Jamaican Oxtails Recipe
- 2 lbs oxtails (chopped into small to medium pieces)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil may be substituted with olive oil
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 whole yellow onion cut in half moon slices
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper (chopped and de-seeded)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 stalks scallions chopped (AKA green onions)
- 7 whole allspice seeds AKA pimento seeds)
- 1 1/2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can butter beans
- 1 tbsp browning sauce
- The first thing you want to do is clean your oxtails. You start by trimming the excess fat from your chopped oxtails with a knife. You then soak them in a solution of lemon juice, and water, you can also use salt, or white vinegar as a substitute for lemon juice.Let the oxtails sit in this solution for about an hour. You then rinse the oxtails in fresh water. Your oxtails are now ready to be seasoned
- In a large mixing bowl, add 1 tablespoon of black pepper to your oxtails. You then add 1 teaspoon of paprika, add your chopped onion, scallions (green onions), chopped garlic, scotch bonnet (habanero) pepper, thyme, and allspice seeds. Add Worcestershire sauce and browning sauce to your oxtails. Rub vigorously until your oxtails are completely coated and infused by the seasonings you've just added. Let sit for 1 hour (overnight is ideal for a proper marinade).
- Add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil to a large saucepan under a medium flame. When the oil becomes hot (approximately 5 minutes), place your seasoned oxtails in the saucepan until your oxtails become brown (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add 3 cups of water and add your beef bullion cube. Stir occasionally and let cook under a medium flame for about 2 hrs while stirring intermittently. Add the butter beans (remember to drain the water from the can) after about 1/ ½ hr. Let simmer and add a little water if needed. You have just made Jamaican oxtails. Enjoy and don't forget to share it.